Frequently Asked Questions

What are your normal business hours?
Monday through Friday; 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Inspections are normally scheduled on the hour at 9:00, 10:00, and 11:00 in the mornings and 2:00, 3:00, and 4:00 in the afternoons. 
How much does a building permit cost?
$70.00 for the first $5,000 of construction costs and $7.00 per $1,000 thereafter. Fence permits are $20.00; residential demolition permits are $50.00 and commercial demolition permits are $50.00 for the first $5,000.00 of demolition costs and $5.00 per $1,000 thereafter.
Do I need a permit to build a deck, fence, garage, room addition, remodel my kitchen/bath?
Yes. Please contact the Building Department at 314) 646-7658.
Do you take credit cards?
Can I apply for an occupancy permit on line?

Not at this time; however, we do have a form online you can complete ahead of time.

How many people can live in my property?
One person per 160 square feet of habitable living space. Habitable space is defined as the sum of the square footage of the home's rooms, excluding closets, bathrooms and hallways.
Do you need a new occupancy permit when someone moves in with you?

Yes, the head-of-household who is currently on the occupancy permit will need to apply for a new occupancy permit - the fee is $15.00.

An inspection will be required; however, there is no fee for this inspection and the inspection only covers life safety issues, such as smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, etc.

Do I need a permit to replace my driveway?
Only if you are replacing the public sidewalk and apron or approach. If so, an excavation permit is required and may be obtained from our Public Works Department at (314) 645-2277.
Do you have the original blue prints and survey of my property?
How do I know where my property lines are?
The only true way is by a surveying engineer.
Why do I need an occupancy permit?

To show proof of residency, and to provide a means of ensuring property maintenance

Do I need a occupancy permit and inspection for a commercial property?
Yes. Please contact the Building Department at (314) 646-7658.

You can access the application here on our website.
What building code do you use?
  • 2018 International Building Code
  • 2018 International Existing Building Code
  • 2018 International Residential Code
  • 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
  • 2018 International Swimming Pool & Spa Code
  • 2018 International Fire Code
  • 2014 National Electrical Code
  • 2015 International Mechanical Code
  • 2015 International Fuel Gas Code
  • 2015 Uniform Plumbing Code
  • 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
Do I get mechanical, electrical and plumbing permits from you?

No, we contract through St. Louis County for all mechanical, electrical and plumbing permits and inspections. Your individual HVAC contractor, electrician and plumber will get separate permits from St. Louis County and schedule their own inspections.  

Is a refundable construction deposit required?
The most common deposits required are for new homes ($3,000), room additions ($1,000) and house demolitions ($2,000). For commercial projects, please contact the Building Department at (314) 646-7658.
What do I need to apply for a residential occupancy permit?
The fee is $15.00 payable by cash, check, debit or credit. The names, birthdates and driver’s license, state identification or passport number of all occupants over the age of 18.